Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No work and all play

Today was my first day trying out this stay-at-home mom thing. Greg's new job officially started today and Henry and I were left to our own devices. My staying at home is in the trial phase, since I've never done it and we're not quite sure that I won't go insane.

In general the day went well, although through some random circumstances we ended up without a car and it was way too hot to walk outside, so we were pretty cooped up. Henry has a lot of energy and needs to crawl around big spaces in order to be happy. Our cottage does not qualify as a wide open space, so he was mildly cranky until Greg got home and took him for an evening beach run. Whenever we take Henry to the beach, we just put him down and he takes off crawling in any direction for about a mile, then winds his way towards the ocean to play in the surf. At first he would pick up shells and try to taste them, and I would take them away. Pretty soon he would just pick up the shell and hand it right over to me! Now he just examines stuff for a minute and then throws it away.

I am definitely going to have to make a more structured schedule/routine, because playing on the floor with Henry's toys and reading those Llama llama books 10 times in a row may make him happy, but it's going to drive mommy crazy.

No comments: