Thursday, December 9, 2010

Homemade Christmas Gifts

This year I had hoped to make some gifts at home in order to save money and expend a little creative energy. The point was not to go out and buy a ton of supplies, but rather to use up things I already have. My goal was to create gifts without buying lots of extra stuff. If I can get my act together these are the projects I would like to complete:

1) Doll T-shirt kit. I already bought fabric paint and some embellishments at Michaels on black friday, and am working on making little American girl sized T-shirts for Trouwbottom's daughter to decorate. All you need for the T-shirts is one or two old T-shirts and some velcro. We'll see how it turns out!

2) Husband quilt. This idea was born out of a bag of my husband's old clothes that I couldn't put in the clothes closet (what our church calls the room full of free clothes) because of small rips, stains, etc. Some of the clothes I had really liked and I hated to trash them, but I also knew that keeping them around indefinitely was totally crazy. And so the Husband Quilt was born! I bought an inexpensive twin sheet at Walmart for the backing, picked up some crib-sized batting at Michaels on black friday, and whipped up a lap quilt top out of 5 old shirts. Now all I have left to do is quilt it, and sew up the binding.

3) In the same vein, I would love to sew up some little stuffed animals out of the fabric I have lying around for my cousin's kids. I already have the stuffing, and plenty of embroidery floss and buttons for faces, and a ton of fabric scraps that would be perfect.

4) I also want to finish a pair of these little cross-stitch ornaments I've been working on FOREVER. They aren't really that creative (cross-stitch never is), but I would be making them out of supplies I already have, so I guess they count too. I'm hoping to get them finished before the 26th, so I can give them to my aunt and uncle who I'm visiting that day.

Hopefully I'll be posting pics of these completed projects soon! (fingers crossed)

2 comments:

Trouwbottom said...

You are so talented with your sewing machine! I think I want you to teach me and Autumn how to sew. After Christmas I want to buy an inexpensive easy to use sewing machine and we will come over for lessons!

prettybyrdie said...

Cool. I sewed for hours and hours when I was Autumn's age. I loved it!