Thursday, May 2, 2013

Great Expectations or On Turning 28

If you had asked me at 18 what I thought the next ten years would have in store for me, I would have anticipated:

living in NYC
authoring several books
traveling to many new places
having lots of friends who were very different from me
becoming a professor
maybe finding a boyfriend that I could stand to be around
looking to make an impact on the world through my professional career

Instead I am:

living with my family in the town where I grew up
done with traveling for the near future
friends with other moms who are a lot like me
a lawyer

spending every day with the husband I adore
looking to impact the world by educating my children and living my life for Jesus

While most of us view 30 as the milestone age, I feel that today, marking 10 years into my adulthood, is as good a time as any to look back, to assess. Yesterday I pulled out a devotional book that I had started (and lost) as a teenager. I realized as I read through the verses that while the years have passed and I've accomplished some things, my spiritual life has been crawling along at a snail's pace. A few pages into the devotional was a pledge, unsigned by me, to commit to daily devotions for 10 weeks. I couldn't help but wonder if I would be different today if I had stuck with that Sunday school class, if I had made that commitment.

I do pray daily, but still read the Bible sporadically. Part of me (the prideful part) says go buy a devotional for adults, you've been a Christian almost your whole life, you don't need this kids' book. But deep down, I know that I'm just a baby, and that many of us are just babies in Christ. I don't know Jesus the way I want to. I've decided to finish this book, and to commit to daily devotions for the next 10 weeks. Hopefully I will be starting a habit that will continue long after the book is finished.

If anyone else wants to check it out, this is the little devotional book I'm talking about: Spending Time Alone with God It's written for middle/high school and it's simple but solid.

2 comments:

Rebecca Courtney said...

I think all us Moms could use a book about spending time alone with God. The best place to start in the beginning. I will be praying for you over these next weeks! Spending daily time with God is the best thing I started doing this past year I feel so much more grounded. Much much love!

Christopher Dela Cruz said...

Were you dreaming those things while at Rutgers?? Man 10 years since Freshmen year at Rutgers...