Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tweeting the Post-PostModern

I set up a twitter account, but haven't tweeted anything yet. I guess my thoughts run a bit more wild than the short and pithy 140-character update.
Since I'm in the still in the dark ages when it comes to current technology, I don't know which of my friends are tweeting yet, so I just followed a couple of writers whose names I recognized.
I didn't know quite what to expect, but I have to say, it was pretty disheartening to see the focus of some of these currently popular literary folks. Without offending anyone by talking politics or religion, let's just say that my worldview tends towards the hyperopic. In other words, I believe in an eternal soul, which pretty much shapes the way I think about every other issue.
But this distinction aside, I was expecting the wordsmiths of our day to rise above the mundane rhetoric of our time and deliver something new, or, if that would be too much, at least something classic.
I was disappointed to find the usual gammut of hot topics of the day, the woeful economy, the environment, blah blah blah. The same old little or big end of the egg arguments that the politicians have been bantering about in order to drum up interest in their election campaigns.
Now I'm not promoting escapism as the only purpose of fiction writing, and of course people are free to write, or tweet, whatever they want, but it does seem to me that writers ought to be creative enough to move a step further than the entertainment/news status quo.
Which brings me to my final challenge to the literary community. I say challenge and not criticism, and this is why: it is so much easier to tear down than to build up.
So much of our generation has grown up in a time when minimalism, at least asthetically, is king. "Do away with traditions, they only serve to limit you. Forget the elaborate reasoning of the past, history is only so much baggage to carry around, just drop it and be free to create something new. And religion! The biggest offender of all! Religious people are all crazy. That is the simplest way to deal with the Big Questions. Just assume that there is no God without ever taking the time to think about it. And once this assumption is made everything else falls into place so easily. Secular humanism and a democratic government will be enough to keep us all from killing each other, and in the mean time we can all do what is right in our own eyes without worrying about universal truth or an outside standard of morality." The artistic epression of our time is riddled with the easy performance of tearing down the establishment. The theme is so rampant that it is getting, ironically, old.
This thinking is why, in my humble opinion, we are so focused on the problems that keep the news shows' ratings up. If you believe that you really die when you die, it makes the problems of today paramount. Take the environment, for instance. The idea that man, that man in the industrial age, has so damaged the earth that it will be forever changed and may cease to exist as we know in a very short amount of time is at first a horrifying thought. But seen through the lens of secular humanism, the idea that we have the power to destroy the world, that the world in effect will die with us, is intoxicating. How can our egos resist such an idea? That we have such control over the universe is a compelling thought for a bunch of finite creatures with an inexplicable ability to comprehend the eternal.
And so the easy route is to bemoan our carbon emissions and stare dismally ahead at the smog-filled future of our grandchildren, should they survive. This is not art, people.
I want us to be remembered as more than just well-liked and less accurate Cassandras. So here is the challenge: Innovate. Analyze, certainly, but do something more than complain. Observe, but with an eye towards creativity. If poets can no longer look past the petty grievances of our time and envision a better future than who will? While every writer is in some ways limited to the time in which he or she is born, great writers share a vision that pierces through the myopic viel of finite extence. So, writers, stop recycling the media flavor of the day and tweet something that won't be obsolete in a few years!

Note: I get it that the whole medium of twitter is that the words are there and gone, and the form of expression is meant to be somewhat intangible. But the point is really about the larger body of literary writing in general, and so still stands.

No comments: