Friday, August 19, 2011

Seven Week Weigh In

Made it to 15 lbs just in time! I really needed a pedicure to make up for my dwindling wardrobe. I had to go to a social function with Greg's boss (a NJ Supreme Court justice) and another former and a current NJ Supreme Court justice, and had absolutely nothing to wear (or so I thought).

So the day before I went to the mall and tried on 500 things. For the first time in a long time, I wasn't totally frustrated in the dressing room. Most of the clothes I tried on looked pretty good actually, and a couple of times I even had to get a smaller size than the one I originally selected.

But I didn't buy anything....

Why?

Because I didn't want to invest in this size. I'm not yet the way I want to be, so why spend the money on clothes I'm hoping won't fit in another month?

I went home empty-handed with a shiny new pedicure, and wore a dress I had in the back of my closet. There will be plenty of time for shopping when I'm done...

I am so excited right now because 15 lbs. was my goal for the summer, and I still have two weeks to go. My next challenge will be to lose another 25 before New Year's. At this rate, I should be able to reach that goal. Since 25 lbs. is a long ways to go without a little incentive, I have some fun mini-goals to reach in the meantime.

1) Lose 10% of my original body weight - When I reach this goal I will get a cool new haircut and also try on my wedding ring, which has been sitting in a jewelry box since I got pregnant. I was actually heavier than I am now the last time I wore it, but I guess pregnancy does weird things to your... fingers?

2) Lose 30 lbs. - subscribe to a weight loss magazine. This may seem silly to some of you, but I love magazines and don't usually buy them (in fact, all my reading material is from the library these frugal days) so they are a major luxury item for me. I'm thinking SHAPE. I used to buy it occasionally back in my fitter college days and it always inspired me, and I feel that the monthly reminder will help me stay motivated.

Right now I'm not setting any fitness goals because I'm still not sure how I'm going to approach it. My overall goal with this journey is not to just diet or exercise to lose some weight, but to change my habits to the point where it just becomes a part of my life to eat healthy and be fit. I can't say that the healthy eating is habitual quite yet, and so I'm reluctant to add too much in the way of exercise at this point. On the other hand, I know I would see much better results if I started a workout routine, and I genuinely miss my abs of steel (the video, I'm not sure I ever actually had the abs). One compromise might be to just add a little bit of strength training 3 times a week, and then try to make my long walks with Henry more of a routine and maybe track the miles or time. Hmmm, something to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.