Friday, February 20, 2009

Diet Update

So, I think I might have mentioned that I am trying to take off some of this law school weight. This diet feels a lot different than efforts I've made in the past; because it's one of the first times I've tried to lose weight for my health and to feel better rather than just to look better, fit into smaller clothes, etc. I'm trying to start slow so I don't burn out too quickly.

I have a friend who I went to high school with who recently lost lots of weight just counting calories and adding some exercise. So I found this website: http://www.fitday.com , which helps you keep track of what you're eating, calories, fat, even different essential vitamins. I've been shooting for 1,200 a day, with leeway for unexpected temptations I usually end up somewhere between 1,300 and 1,400. I honestly haven't been hungry with this amount, because making the list lets you evaluate what you're going to eat for the day and make better tradeoffs. Some things are just not worth it when you see the stats.

I really like to eat more at night, which is worse for weight loss purposes, but again, I have to be realistic or I'll never be able to stick to this. One thing that helps is the Costco brand slimfast shake thingies for breakfast. If you're not used to them they might taste a little weird, but I lived on these things when I was a vegetarian, so they are familiar and comforting to me. I usually don't have much of an appetite for breakfast, so the shakes are great because they don't upset my tummy, and I'm not ravenous after my first class. I drank the actual slimfast brand shakes back when I was skipping meat, but they changed their formula to be low-carb now and they just don't fill me up the same way. Also the Costco shakes are like 50cents a can on sale. Not bad for a meal replacement!

The exercise prong of my attack is also going well. I've been trying to do one workout video a night. Not every workout video is equal. I have Denise Austin's Cardio Kickboxing for when I really want to sweat. Then there is Sweatin' to the Oldies for some lower impact cardio dance. Cindy Crawford's workout video is really marketed more towards men, picture saucy workout music and Cindy working out on a beach with her hair down and wearing a one-piece swimsuit. However, the arms and abs part is pretty good, so this makes it into the rotation. Then there is the legs, abs, and buns of steel trifecta. These are awesome: short, effective, and starring hilariously outdated workout gurus. The abs of steel will start becoming a staple soon, but I need a little time before attempting the buns and legs, that is if I want to be able to walk to school the next day. My gaim yoga video is also useful sometimes. I do it most often when my back is really bothering me. Despite the ludicrous hippie jargon (e.g. "Soften your organs", and "press your feet deep into the earth."), this video is great for your posture (mine sucks), although it does make me kind of depressed that I have the flexibility of an 80-year-old actuary. Also in the library but barely legitimate is Carmen Elektra's aerobic striptease, which is pretty much a joke, but an ok one at that.

So, drumroll please...................... total weight lost: 5 lbs!!
At first I went up a little the first couple of days, probably because my body was in shock from the sudden physical activity, but then it started to drop. I'm hoping to keep up this plan for a while until I hit a plateau, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Altogether I need to lose around another 45 lbs to be at an ideal weight, but I would be happy with any small percentage of that while I'm in lawschool!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Great job, fellow dieter- and thanks for that shout-out haha! It's really awesome that you're doing this and 5 pounds is a great accomplishment! Pretty soon you'll start to feel so much better and rock a bikini with me at the beach! Don't get discouraged by plateau's. They happen- esp when you are building some muscle. I was on a plateau for the entire months of December and January I kid you not. Anyway, if you ever want to go for a jaunt along one of our boardwalks, call me up!

the smiling fat girl said...

Sorry about the break in to your vehicle! How awful!

So, I have the same prob about eating at night. What I have realized is that I've conditioned myself to eat at night. Especially if I'm watching TV! Since I'm trying to only eat when I'm actualy hungry [and not when I just want to "munch"], I am trying to be very aware of this unhealthy behavior. IF I am hungry, I am trying to reach for fruit, yogurt or veggies in the evenings instead of junk food. And [now here's the hard part], if I'm not hungry... Lord give me strength, I am choosing to not eat. Anyway.. FYI

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your encouragement. So appreciate it!~

ME

PS I highly, highly recomend reading Thin Within or Thin Again for a wonderful understanding of a Biblical approach to weight loss.